EMURGO, the official commercial arm of the Cardano blockchain, today announced the launch of a new Cardano ecosystem investment vehicle to invest in early start-up and growth companies that focus on building socially impactful solutions powered by Cardano get supported.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of the parent company EMURGO, this new Cardano investment vehicle will consist of two separate units, EMURGO Africa and EMURGO Ventures, each with their own investment thesis.
- EMURGO Africa – aims to support more than three hundred regional startups through seed funding and incubation to ultimately establish Cardano’s blockchain as the technological platform standard in Africa for socially effective solutions.
- EMURGO company – will focus on other developed markets to facilitate building solutions and services on Cardano with a fixed capital allocation for seed investments in a variety of Cardano-focused startups and middleware solution companies, including those building Decentralized Financial Services (DeFi) , non-fungible token (NFT) projects, developer training tools and other decentralized apps.
The recent integration of smart contracts into Cardano’s blockchain aims to drive the creation of decentralized services and EMURGO’s new investment vehicle through these two companies will support that.
As a subsidiary of EMURGO – one of the founding members of Cardano – EMURGO Africa and EMURGO Ventures will use EMURGO’s experience with blockchain solutions and the network of industrial partners to provide their portfolio companies with strategic capital and strengthen the Cardano ecosystem.
Through its previous partnership with SOSV, EMURGO has made more than ten direct investments in blockchain startups, including API3 – a blockchain data service provider that has raised investments from large funds in the blockchain industry.
“We are more focused than ever on accelerating the development of the Cardano ecosystem. EMURGO is committed to meeting this demand by providing our portfolio companies with the necessary capital and strategic resources to scale quickly and provide new solutions for Cardano. “
– Ken Kodama, CEO of EMURGO
First, EMURGO Africa announced two stores for its first launch to expand the Cardano ecosystem in Africa using the business networks of its partners.
- Adania Laboratories – a venture building studio operator in Africa, will partner with EMURGO Africa to support impact-driven startups expanding the Cardano ecosystem across the continent.
- Unhappy – a Cardano-focused joint accelerator program in Africa with the blockchain industry accelerator Everest Ventures will also work with EMURGO Africa.
Second, for its first launch, EMURGO Ventures announced its first seed investment in Milkomeda – a dcSpark sidechain project bridging Cardano and other Layer 1 protocols that will use Wrapped ADA (wADA) as an asset.
“EMURGO’s investments will help shape the future of the Cardano ecosystem, a growing network with a creative and diverse community, growing smart contract capabilities, and partnerships around the world providing social and financial services using the proven secure Offer technology from Cardano. “
– Charles Hoskinson, CEO of IOHK